Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Splicing Soft Hanks

After experimenting with some 3/16" spectra, I realized that it would be too big a diameter for the small hanks I was making. Since Brian took almost all the line to Key West Race Week with him, I had to wait until he got back to get some small Dyneema. I also borrowed the SMS splicing kite, which made it much easier. After a few tries, I figured out the right length to make the hanks and how to make them all the same size. I guess we will find out on Thursday night for the FULL MOON race.

Measuring the line

Pulling the splice through with a wand.

Make an overhand knot to lock the splice and give the eye an anchor point
Using the high-tech "nail in a board and eye ball it" method all my hanks came out the same size.

Cutting off the excess dyneena and fusing the end.

The finished project.
In action!

No comments:

Post a Comment