Thursday, July 28, 2011

Where is Team Furthur Ocean Racing now?

I recently received a few emails about this blog, the SC27 and what is next for Team Furthur Ocean Racing. After Pacific Cup, Cody and I partied in Hawaii for 2 weeks straight, living on Furthur and eventually staying at one of our college friend's houses. We decided not to sail Furthur back to California due to some rig and electrical issues, the fact that it would be about 3000 miles upwind, and it could take us a month. So at the last minute we decided to ship her home, which entailed getting the trailer to the Pasha yard in San Diego, derigging Furthur in Hawaii, putting her on the trailer and towing it to the Pasha yard in Honolulu. Luckily, our friend Michael was going down to San Diego and towed the trailer to the yard for us. After we rented a U-haul pick up truck in Hawaii and getting Furthur on the trailer, we noticed that the weld of a major support beam on the trailer had ripped off and the whole thing was in serious risk of falling apart and dumping Furthur. Cody and I carefully towed her to the shipyard, where with the help of some very nice Hawaiian longshore men, we found a welder. With the trailer back in one piece, we left Furthur for her ship ride back to California.

After picking Furthur up in San Diego, I got to endure one more long, over-heating Jeep ride back to Northern California. I nearly had another tire blow out on the way up, but got her safely to a storage area. Sadly, she hasn't been sailed since. I went back to Eckerd in Florida for my senior, graduated in May and moved back to California. I now live in the mountains outside of Santa Cruz and it would be impossible to get Furthur up the house. So now I am looking for a dry storage yard near the water with access to a crane, but there is a one year waiting list in Santa Cruz Harbor! Too bad, I would love to race one design with the growing SC27 fleet there. Maybe Furthur will live at Brickyard Cove on San Francisco Bay. If so, I plan to race her in every single and double handed distance race to the Farallone Islands and around the bay I can attend.

Unfortunately Cody still has another semester to complete before he can graduate, so we won't be sailing together for some time. We are also expanding our sailing horizons but getting into skiffs, multihulls, and large ocean racers. I have been racing on Corsair 28R trimarans, F18 catamarans, and was asked to crew on the RP45 Criminal Mischief for the 2011 TransPac. Unfortunately, I badly broke my wrist a month before the start and could not sail with them. Luckily, I am still on their roster and my first event with them will be the Windjammer Race from San Francisco to Santa Cruz in September. I'll try to do a better job keeping up with this blog since it turns out that people actually read it!

No comments:

Post a Comment